Monday, December 11, 2006

Flute Making Part 1












(top to bottom) Mid G, Mid G, F#

In learning to make NAF style flutes, two sayings come to mind: One is the joke that first you do it for love, then you do it for friends and finally you do it for money. The way I apply that here is not that I am changing careers (because I think I might go hungry!) but simply that as you really discover something great it begins to apppear in more and more aspects of your life. The second adage is something I read on Clint Goss's site that I think is attributed to Jirí Stivín in Prague who said "every flute player should make his own flute!" Well now I resemble that remark I guess.
One of our flute circle members is a very accomplished woodworker and turner. His interest in learning to make flutes included an invitaion to try it with him and it has been a huge amount of fun. Learing to work in wood, in this case Poplar, and get a feel for how it comes together is amazing. I made a Mid G and a F# in 3/4" & 7/8" bores respectively. They sound good and are fun to play. Most importantly they feel great in the sense of accomplishment and I can say that this is a very compelling feeling. I will try my hand at it again as soon as I have time and when my flute playing catches up again. These two seemed to take all of autumn to complete.

I have several folks to credit for the inital success beside Paul my woodworking buddy. Keith Stanford at Cherry Cows puts together a great manual at cost and runs a weekend workshop online that has proved priceless. Thanks Keith, for success the first time!
Second is Bill Hughes new DVD - on Making NAF Style Flutes. This DVD really helps bring the details together and looking at both resources carefully gives one the confidence to try and move forward in a way that avoids some classic first time mistakes. Several years ago I think my first attempt without prior woodshop experience would have meant firewood but with these two excellent teachers to reference I have two servicable flutes. The adventure continues!